Saturday, June 25, 2005

my big brother

well, the thing is i have been knitting but i do not feel like talking about that right now. see, my big brother is currently deployed and having a tough time of it in the sense of all the things that go along with being away from his wife, family, home etc. and i was just thinking about him and his challenges. his birthday just passed and he, being the eldest of 8, is now leading us all into the dubious place of adulthood. when life challenges us, we respond with the tools and methods we learned in our formative years. i have been witnessing his response to the situation via his journaling at his blog and it is amazing, and heartbreaking and informative and scary. because he can really make you, myself, any reader, see and feel what these men are experiencing. if you have a moment to visit him, please do. this is definitely not about the war or how you feel about our involvement in iraq, i do not believe in violence nor would i ever support the havoc it wreaks. but my brother has been told to be there, and i take some comfort in knowing he can show us how to be proud of our men, even in the conflicting emotions this war stirs.

2 comments:

Marji said...

Kudos to your brother, and God be with him and your family.
Thanks for visiting my blog. Elizabeth I is a pattern in the Tudor Roses book by Alice Starmore.
you are welcome to come join the Knitalong, where several of us will be knitting Eliz. There is infomation also on the KAL blog about where to obtain the book (which is out of print) if you don't have it. If you're still haveing difficulties finding it, email me.
http://tudorroses.blogspot.com/

Carrie K said...

Hi, mames! I came here via Marji's site tell you about the Alice Starmore book for the Eliz pattern but I see she beat me to it.

I got mine on Ebay for a freaking $97! I don't know which was worse, the price at the time or me paying it.

I'll check out your brother's blog too.

Welcome to blogging! A way to get those fakey comments that are really ads off is to enable comment verification. It's on your set up when you first go in to post? If you can't find it, email me and I'll actually go look it up for you. It took me forever to figure it out.