Friday, February 16, 2007


i posted earlier regarding my progress on the 'hybrid' sweater. it is done and actually morphed from the planned hybrid to the 'shirt yoke' sweater when my husband closely studied the photos in the EZ knitting workshop. I must admit i had a bit of trepidation when reading the pattern as written in her book because it is really just a bit of a sketch. i understood the concept, but had some doubt regarding the execution. seeing the progress of others was encouraging and when the point of joining sleeves and body on one needle came, i felt prepared.

i have to say this was the most satisfying pattern i have ever knit. it is unbelievably intuitive with a flow to the saddles and the back, watching it unfold before my eyes was such a pleasure. and so quick. i knit the whole sweater in approximately 10 days. it really does not even need blocking. i pressed the shoulders with a steam iron and slightly steamed the sleeve ends to widen them, tim felt they fit a little close.

there was a little modification of the suggestions/formula from EZ. instead of casting on 33% of the body for the sleeves, i cast on 40% or so, i also increased the sleeve width at the top of said sleeves by approx. 6 or so stitches. that is the great thing about having direct access to the proposed recipient, tim tried on the pieces as they were knit. the yarn is discontinued, i snatched up a bag on ebay, but if rowan has something comparable, i would suggest the tweed. it has such beautiful depth with the flecks, really breaking up the monotonous stockinette. it knits up light enough to actually consider wearing it here in southern california. of course, in accordance with knitting tradition in our home, now that the project is complete, temperatures have steadily climbed into the high 70s.

i had hopes for a shot or two with the model in it, but alas, these will have to come later. he has been arriving home late and leaving early and i have not the heart to ask him to perform for a fashion shoot. weather people predict a cooling on sunday, so that may be the best day to try to wrangle him into it. it looks just amazing on, he actually did not stop smiling and checking it out in the mirror. this pleases me to no end as my man is really the jeans/tshirt type, so approval of the shirt yoke felt great. i promise to come back with some live shots soon. until then, have a great EZ filled weekend. cheers.

3 comments:

Nonna Rose said...

Thanks for leaving your interpretation of the shirt yoke directions for me. I have printed them out and will put them in my book so when I try that version I can reread them, and maybe call upon you for further direction!

KODACHROME said...

This is my first time here, so I'd like to say from the start: "Congratulations on your twins to come!" How exciting. And your EZ sweater looks great (I'm looking forward to that model of yours showing it off for us all to see! I know my partner often does not want me to have him model the things I've made for him, but I sometimes do it on the sly anyways-- :)

BTW: Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog recently. I've asked aloud whether there is an etiquette/code of honor to follow, so I'll definitely keep you updated on what responses I get. Take care--

knititch said...

the craziest thing is that we sit in each our part of the world and knit a sweater in the exact same colour. that is so hilarious....