Friday, December 18, 2009

Finger Okay and Making Resumed

I have to say thank you for all the well wishes to Owen after his finger ordeal. It has been a hell of a week, but he is doing great. We saw the doc quite a few times this week and the injury is healing and looks like it will be no worse for the wear. It is true that the littles are so very resilient...not one complaint since the incident. I think it is because he is afraid they will do something else to him again, he is no fan of the doctor's office anymore.

You may have thought that with all the medical complications, making took a back seat this week. Well, yes it did, but I have bounced back quickly with the realization that we have a week to get all the ideas together and actualized. One week! So that is what I am trying to do.

The teacher gifts were frantically assembled yesterday despite my attempts at prepping early.
teacher presents
teacher presents
teacher presents

They did make it out to each one of our beloved teachers and that made me happy. I had plans of stuffing our special Ms. B's box bag with treats and natural lip gloss etc,
teacher presents
but that plan was nixed when time drew down. Instead I went for the quickest thing we had on hand...

If you know someone who loves plants and you have some access to succulents, this gift is great. If you do not garden, then just enjoy the pictures. I love this project because it is really easy if you have the required items on hand. We do because my Mama is a master gardener who has everything in our backyard and more. This woman takes specific trips to a certain nursery over 2 hours south just to acquire rare and delightful examples of the succulent family.
succulent presents
The gift itself is a small gathering made from succulents cuttings. the wonderful thing is that you literally cut, trim and stick the new ends into soil and they grow back. Kinda' like Owen's finger (oh, that was gross, right?).
succulent presents
succulent presents
You do need a special type of soil, cactus soil,
succulent presents
and you do need a pot and some succulents to start with, but if you are looking for a quick and lovely gift, all these things can be picked up at your local nursery and assembled in a day They make great hostess or favor gifts and they are pretty hard to kill, per my Mama, anyway.
succulent presents
succulent presents
The best part is that they should root and grow and grow long after the gift is given.

The rest of this evening is devoted to a second batch of marshmallows, and my first attempt at homemade caramels from this recipe. I am hoping to last the rest of the evening.

Quick update :: I did it, made some caramels. Dangerous. Both to the taster's tongue and the taster's waist. Marshmallows seem like a breeze now...only they are cinnamon sugar marshmallows because someone (likely Owen) dumped a bunch of cinnamon into our 10 pound bag of white sugar...forgiven due to the whole finger thing, I guess.

5 comments:

jillian said...

I have so many cacti/succulents around, but it never occurred to me that a collection of cuttings would make a great gift. Although now I may think if O's finger when replanting the cutting ;)

Kellee said...

That is such a lovely gift idea, I'll have to try that sometime. I have no plants, but MY MOTHER.. she has plenty and is right down the street. I live in vegas, they can't be that hard to find.

Beautiful pictures as well, by the way :)

Janna said...

I'm so glad to hear Owen is doing well!!!

And the crafts you did are awesome! I would be thrilled to be your boys' teacher :)

K8 said...

That's a great gift idea - Mark's mom sent him out to California with a jade plant which has since become more than a dozen! Glad to hear Owen's feeling better :)

Jennie said...

I love succulents (though I killed the last one I bought) and that is a great gift. I didn't know that about the cuttings. I should try it (once I get some more).