Friday, March 19, 2010

Supported


Main Entry: 1sup·port
Pronunciation: \sə-ˈpȯrt\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French supporter, from Late Latin supportare, from Latin, to transport, from sub- + portare to carry — more at fare
Date: 14th century

1 : to endure bravely or quietly : bear
2 a (1) : to promote the interests or cause of (2) : to uphold or defend as valid or right : advocate (3) : to argue or vote for b (1) : assist, help (2) : to act with (a star actor) (3) : to bid in bridge so as to show support for c : to provide with substantiation



This was quite a week. It began with my Mama’s admit to the hospital. I was so worried about the surgery despite the planning and preparation. I asked and you answered. And I felt lifted and supported and better. And now so does she.

And then there was the rest of the blog world and its interaction with my daily life. During the course of this week another controversial piece was published regarding blogging and I happened to take the time to read it. I usually don’t. But I listen to Neil and he listens to everyone and I was intrigued. So I read and browsed links here and there and came away with thoughts on it all, thoughts that I would usually just share with my husband (who is usually supremely uninterested but he has to listen, you know? Marriage vows and all).

It made me think again about the whole blogging thing and where I sit in relation to it all. There is always some chatter on Twitter about the ads, and people being ‘real’ writers, about profit and branding. I don’t think I read many big name bloggers because there is usually not much that speaks to me. I am not always sure of the who and what and when and how, all the nuances that are developing. Little peeks into the bigger world of blogs for profit have generated little interest on my part and I rarely read anything to do with parenting advice or product endorsement or media/politics. I have always gravitated towards the writers, those that afford views of the intimate, those that give small glimpses into lives well lived, those that create in creative ways. I find I return there again and again because they make me feel somehow….sometimes inspired, sometimes supported, sometimes just feel. But I do feel the tide that swirls around the edges of my reading choice, the controversy and hustle, the ideas of profit and professionalism.

I know each person that uses this medium chooses to write for their own reasons. Some because they need an outlet, some because it helps them support their family, some to follow others and some to show their leadership. There is an infinite amount of words out there, some use them skillfully, others seem to be fond of a sledge hammer approach. There are masters of wordage, intriguing warriors, ruthless entrepreneurs. And after reading for years and watching the change and all the crazy hype, I wonder sometimes how much it all really matters?

The ‘knickers in a twist’ generated by controversial topics take so much energy, you know? The people that love the drama always will and probably always have. We all thrive on different things.

I started really blogging when I asked for blessings on me and mine, 24 weeks pregnant with twins and in pre-term labor, so scared and worried and feeling alone. My contact with the world was my laptop and I was totally unsure of the medium, just lightly touching the world of blogs via knitting. I posted to a baby knitting blog asking for prayers from other expectant mamas and within minutes I received answers; women I had never met, mothers and grandmothers, all wishing well on those little floating people. It made me feel lifted and supported and better.

Over the years so much of it has changed, we all know that. But this week I asked and received again, just like that first time three years ago. People have drifted in and out of my ether, some have stayed the course through my meandering writing and topics. Some have even become my friends. And that makes me want to stay in this space a little bit longer, stay just as I am and how I am and ignore the background chatter that does not have to be my drama (but can be so fun to read from afar when it is juicy news).

I said that I would usually leave this rambling for Tim’s ears but today I felt like writing it out. I know so many of my folks have shifted their communication to other mediums and I miss them. And I think there is still good writing to be found, sometimes even ad free. And I wonder about you? Where do you sit in this odd world of blogging camps and communities if you sit at all? Do tell.

This post brought to you by a silly article, not enough sleep and the wonderful folks that left comments of love for my Mama this week. Copious thanks to the last.

10 comments:

Sadia said...

Thanks for the rambling, and the food for thought.

My blog a brand? Certainly not. I'd scrapbook if I had a talent for it. Words are my forte, and I want to capture who my children are in this instant, insights I've had, lessons I've learned.

I love the friends I've made through my blog, you included, but I'd like to think I'd keep them even if I were to stop blogging myself.

(May 2011 ... I'm still planning to be in Claremont!)

Janna said...

I adore you! :)

LauraC said...

You would not be surprised to hear that I agree with you. I blog because it is my mothering therapy. I blog because my 77 year old grandma has gotten up every morning for the last 4.5 years and surfed to my site to get to know me and my family a little better. I blog because I've made an amazing community. I'm glad you're a part of that community!

Dawn Johnson Warren said...

I thought about jumping onto the band wagon with my blog years back and quickly decided that it wasn't for me. It would have required too much time and emotional drama that I didn't have being a stay at home mom entrenched in the raising of my two little boys. I'm not a fan of magazines because the articles never dig deep enough for me, there are no roots to grow nourishment. And that's what I find a lot of blog posts on the obviously branded sites are, magazine articles.

That said, I am grateful and humbled to have met so many wonderful people thanks to blogs. People, like you, who so eloquently tell their stories and share their lives and hearts with such beauty. I'm still amazed by the people who stumble into my internet world thanks to blogs and social media and the wonderful connections it brings. There is still a place for it and a draw for us all. Reaching out to make friends with those we never would have known existed otherwise and finding places in our hearts for these bloggers and their families.

Preeti said...

Your post (and the Times article) made me think about why I blog. When I began putting myself out there via the blogging medium, it was just for me. Along the way, I've met some amazing people and developed some really cool friendships. It's like I keep coming back to visit with them "virtually" at their house or mine. You are one of those friends:)

Claroux said...

I seriously love you! But first, let me say that I have been keeping your Mom in my prayers and I am thrilled that she is doing well.

I too read "that" article. Only because a twin mama blogger (that I never read anymore because she and I differ in our opinions and lives SO much) posted a link to it on facebook. And guess what? I agree with YOU! I started blogging as a way to journal my girls' lives. To write down all the little things I would never remember. And along the way I found an outlet and a virtual support group of MOMs. I have gotten away from it since Jackson came into the picture - actually before then. Thinking back....I think I lost my drive to blog when Tuesday passed. I don't know why that hit me as hard as it did....but it did. I still read everyone's thoughts and laugh at their stories and revel in the similarities to my life. And along the way have made some great "friends" that I can't wait to meet someday!!!!! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

When I was a teenager I had a postcard on my wall that said "the more i talk the better it makes me feel."

And that's why I blog.

Love to you, and your mama.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog makeover. Just like you its gorgeous. Good news on your mama! The controversy on the blog thing, I mean seriously. People must have a ton of time on their hands to attack something like that.

jillian said...

Interesting...

I don't mind the blog for business sites IF they have truly useful information, good writing/pictures and overall I enjoy it and don't feel I am being, I don't know, led down the primrose path about products etc. I say more power to those that can make a living from this.

I avoid the drama now - although I have posted some pretty opinionated pieces. I never got really flamed and I feel like I missed a bullet. It's all so big now, I like keeping to my quiet corner of the blogosphere. I recently thought of giving it up, and then decided that I so enjoyed that small but solid group of "people" out there that I wouldn't otherwise correspond with, and the positivity and value they bring to my life. Gonna keep on truckin' for now ;)

jennifer said...

fantastic post, amiee. we definitely will get that beer someday. in the meantime, i enjoy coming to your space to read your eloquent words, hear you, give the occasional fist bump, etc. and of course supportt. much love and respect, my friend. xoxo